Monday, December 7, 2015

Myth 1 of College Recruitment. JUST SEND EMAILS!

I will be the first to tell you that God blessed me in my recruitment process because I had no clue what I was doing and my parents didn't either. We did however know enough to know we knew nothing. This helped because we did whatever was suggested to us. Sending emails was the ticket to get colleges to talk to you!
 Send Emails? Check!  I can do that! I did too! I sent emails to ever coach I could think of.
I remember sending an email to Duke University (Yes, Coach K's Blue Devils... the Harvard of the South... That Duke) because I was told send out emails to lots of colleges.  They were nice enough to shoot me down with kindness and not just laugh at me. You see my GPA for Duke was a joke, my height of at 5"9' (In my shoes) as a middle was way tooooooo small for a ACC Division I middle, and my ACT/SAT scores weren't getting me in at Duke. I had done no research at all about Duke Volleyball. I knew it was "Smart Kid School" and that they had good men's basketball. I knew nothing about their volleyball program or the school really.
 I did just what I was told to do. I sent emails. Many of you will be told the same thing. Send emails to colleges! Yes, you have to do this and you have to send well written emails to colleges BUT you must know who you are talking too. If you are serious about wanting to play in college you must pick out the schools that you can get into if you apply and that you fit in with level of play. Don't waste your time and the coaches time like I did with Duke.


No comments:

Post a Comment