Tuesday, December 8, 2015

"I can't hustle the whole time I'll never make it"

A coaching friend of mine had a player tell her, "I can't hustle the whole time I'll never make it." The player was beyond serious about this statement too. "What kind of thinking is this?" Was my first thought when my friend told me about this player and statement. I would have NEVER said this to a coach even though I may have thought it. I learned early on in sports that good coaches love to work on players weaknesses. The poor player basically just said to the coach... "Please run me so hard because I am out of shape and a little lazy". I am not sure the player realizes what she said but after a few practices she will.
  You get out of a practice what you put in and you play how you practice. The sooner young players understand these two concepts the better off they will be. If you won't hustle the whole practice, you won't hustle the whole game. It is pretty simple. The Bible calls it reaping what you sow. Sow a lazy practice than you reap a lazy game performance. As a coach, I wish this wasn't the case.
  My coaching friend added after the players comment, "Well, I know I am not getting 110% from her in practice."  This brings me to the last point I want to make with this. Giving 110% is more then being fast and quick the whole time. It is simply giving your best the whole time. If you want a better best then you must give the best you have. It won't be easy and you may have nothing left to give by the middle of practice but that is okay! The more you work the better you will get and the better your 110% gets!
Hustle the whole practice. It is good for you! Give your best!

Carolinacrushvolleyball@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment