Thursday, February 4, 2016

Shut up and Listen

Coach Parish was the head volleyball coach at a small local college where I went to summer camp. This camp was in the 3rd week of June in a gym build before the luxuries of A/C. Needless to say it was hot and to make matters worse for me my home A/C went out that week too. The NBA finals were being played that well too! I remember sitting on a warm gym floor pouring sweat before the warm ups started and coach Parish asked the question who was watching the NBA? A few girls raised their hands but I wasn't one of them. I barely knew the finals were being played and never watched the NBA. Coach Parish gave the group a confused look and asked why more of us hadn't watched the finals; Before anyone could answer she added that it was very important for us young athletes to watch championship teams play even if it wasn't our sport.... We could learn from top athletes because the work ethic was the same she added. As I grew up I learned what she said to be true. I have learned that watching boxers focus before a fight or football players game mange can all be helpful to me! All champion level athletes have something they can teach us about being the best! It might be how they got there or how they train. Maybe it is their mental game or being blessed. Sometimes we have to shut up and listen to what these athletes say and even listen to their actions. I encourage you to shut up and listen. In the words of coach Parish, "Watch all champion games!" It is good for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment