Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Teammate or Family?

The term "Fam" is so over used right now by American teenagers. They all think their friends are close like family rather they are or not. It is simply a cultural thing and what they have heard others say. The term "Fam" (short for family) can be used when speaking about teammates.  Not all teams that I have been on have been close like family. I played on a basketball team where I thought all my teammates could go get lost... I didn't like them and would never think of them as family. Most of the teams I have been on were like family. The one that sticks out the most to me was my senior year volleyball team. We were good and all got along. It was a labor of love to get along sometimes but we made it work. There were a few practices that some teammates and I would go get ice cream. We would ride around in my car and just be teenage girls! It was fun made so closer. I still keep in touch with most of those teammates and know what they are up too. Those teammates became like family. 
 
Coaches and teammates play a role in this culture. Some coaches just can't get players to be warm and loving but they can give them the chance to be. Giving the chance for a bond like family to take place is key for strong teams. It is really hard for girls to want to work hard and win for the girl beside her unless she feels some kind of bond with her. It is the coaches job to give the players the chance create these bonds.  
  Teammates play a role in this culture because they are the culture!  Being accepting and kind to teammates is the key to making strong relationships. Being the teammate that invites the whole team over not just one or two members of the team is great start or going to grab food before a practice. This helps create a family. 
At some point teammates become family and that is the best part. When you can't tell who is related and who isn't is the best!  If you feel like a teammate and not family it might be time to work on that! 

Work hard. Work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment